Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Star-Spangled Banner

How many of you know the Star-Spangled Banner? America's national anthem?

Really know it? The I-can-sing-it-to-you-right-now know it?

I thought I did. I was absolutely positive I did.

But turns out, when we did a project on the Star-Spangled Banner, I didn't. I knew parts of it, but I couldn't write it down. I couldn't even sing the whole anthem to myself.

I had been positive that I had known it. But I hadn't. And I've lived in America my entire life. I was born here and have never lived anywhere else. How could I not know my country's anthem? And, truth be told, most of my classmates didn't know it, either.

It made me wonder: do other American citizens know their national anthem, the Star-Spangled Banner?  I do, now, but do YOU?

Test yourself.... see how much of it you do know- open Word, or NotePad, or get off the computer for a minute and use a sheet of paper to write down as many parts of the Star-Spangled Banner as you can remember. Then see the real lyrics here. (Obviously I don't expect anyone to know anything past the first verse)

Did you know it? Or were you, like my classmates and I, a little rusty?

6 comments:

  1. Hmmm...that's a really interesting thought! My choir is actually singing it this semester, and we found out that it has 2 verses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I know it pretty much off by heart(due to an American Homeschooling program), but I'm a Canadian! :P

    I've always thought it was rather lengthy and the tune is sooooo up and down and weird XD

    But then, 'Oh Canada' is short and boring XD

    Complete opposites :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olivia: yep, it does. I only know the first verse :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...I can't seem to get it perfectly right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know both verses (last I checked). Partly because I'm a military kid - raised on base. :D

    And on the side, I love your blog look!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a comment- I love them! Just make sure you remember common courtesy, don't swear or use text messaging language, and don't advertise your blog or other's. It is fine to leave a link to your blog in a signature.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home