Does anyone else listen to music as they write? Anyone?
I do. I used to never, ever, ever, EVER listen to music when I was writing. Never, with twenty million capital N's. But now?
Yea. Of course I do. And it's amazing. I find myself being able to churn out more words for NaNo each day if I listen to music streaming very loudly into my ears on my iPod. Without music, I used to pause every few minutes and check my word count, stop every so often to think and try to concentrate, stop and just plain dawdle.
But with music? It covers just about every annoying sound that exists so that I can just concentrate and smash out words on my laptop. Just write and write and write and write without caring that my dog is whining for attention or that the vacuum cleaner is running or, hey, is that a tornado outside? (Joking about that last one)
Like, today, I have not only reached the required cumulative and daily word count - I'm above it! That is so exciting because, for the record, I've usually been behind the goal. Plus, I am more than HALFWAY through the 50,000 words! Yay!
But it has to be the right music. Through the past couple of days I have developed my perfect Writing Playlist. It has songs that inspire me to pound everything out:
Playlist.com didn't have a couple of the songs in my playlist (ELT by Wilco, Johhny Johnny by Avalanche, Land of make believe by Buck Fizz, and the version of Sound of Silence by Audiofeels).
PS: Check out my footer navigation buttons (Home, Older Posts, Newer Posts). I just customized them so that they are images instead of just plain old words.
Sunday, November 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











I listen to music while I do math (it actually helps) but not normally while I'm writing. Usually either my sister is playing the piano or I am singing to myself - yes, odd. :D
ReplyDeleteThanks for following my blog!
p.s. congrats on the NaNo!! If that were me, I would be stressed out. :D
ReplyDeleteI listen to music with just about everything I do!...i love love love music!
ReplyDeleteI listen to music in the garage while working on the cars and whatnot, and I listen at work whenever I can. I use iTunes a lot and play music from my computer.
ReplyDeleteI can NOT stand listening to music while I write! But I do listen to it while I do my math. ;)
ReplyDeleteIsn't it great? I love music!
ReplyDeleteI completely agree! I especially love listening to music that goes along with the scene I'm writing. For example, a love scene... duh, a love song. It sort of helps out with the mood I'm trying to convey. Likewise, a sad scene calls for a sad song.
ReplyDeleteI'm also an actress, and while practicing a monologue or a scene it helps to listen to certain songs beforehand that go along well with the lines I have to act out. That way I can get "into the mood".
I love how acting... writing... music... photography... even drawing all work together. =)
I wrote a post a while back also on listening to music while writing, you can check it out if you'd like: http://christiswrite.blogspot.com/2010/03/weaving-songs-into-your-scenes.html
Great post! I'm now a follower. =)
Tessa
www.christiswrite.blogspot.com
SAME HERE! I haven't been listening to music. I NEVER did. And now I can blast out so many words! I'm hoping to get too 20,000 today. Fat chance but who kknows. Maybe it'll squeeeeeeze through!
ReplyDeleteI friended you on NaNo WriMo. Good job! Your getting lots of words!
Yep I listen to music while I'm writing too. :)
ReplyDelete