Friday, November 26, 2010

Things I've Learned From NaNoWriMo

I've done it.

Take a look at my NaNo badge over in my sidebar --------->

Yes! I have officially written 50,000 words in 30 days (well, actually, 26 days)!

I can't believe that I wrote over 6100 words today. That is an all-time, all-life high.

When I signed up for NaNo, I did not didn't really think I would win. It would be just for fun, just to write.

But here I am, amazed. And even though everything I wrote is going to sound like total crap when I read it over and begin to edit come December, at least I managed to pump out 50k words in one month. Even though my actual story has veered, totally and completely, away from the original idea, I still love every word I have written.

I have learned to push myself. To reach the goals I set. To actually set goals for myself.

I have learned to just write, because you can't edit a blank page. To just write, no matter what, because first drafts never get published anyways - it's the fifth, or fifteenth, or even fiftieth, that do.

I have learned not to write too many contractions (I had to keep reminding myself, as I wrote this post, to write I've instead of I have or can't instead of can not).

If anyone asked me about NaNoWriMo, about deciding whether they should participate in it, I would definitely say yes. Even if you do not don't win, it's an exhilarating experience. It's thirty days and nights of literary abandon. 


Good luck to all fellow WriMos who aren't done yet- you can do it!

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations Kiki!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOT! WOOT!!! GO KIKI! YEAH!!!!!! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!

    =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOT! WOOT!!! GO KIKI! YEAH!!!!!! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!

    =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh, congratulations! that is such an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO proud of you! NaNo has taught me a ton of stuff, too. It is simply incredible.

    I love how you crossed out 'do not' in favor of 'don't'. I cannot wait until I can start doing that again! Now, back to writing--I still have about 3000 words to go until the finish line. *giddy with excitement*

    Congrats once more, Kiki!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl! I feel as if I could finish today... I've got it all planned out... I just don't have the time.... ;)

    lots of love,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!!!! Isn't it the most amazing feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments, everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! I didn't take part in NaNoWriMo this year {too late} but I really admire the time and effort people have been putting into it.

    It's my first time on your site, but I think it's really cool :) Nice job, Kiki!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude this theme totally ROCKS! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, great job Kiki! I can't wait to see your final draft!:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is an awesome feeling to accomplish NaNo, especially if you didn't start out with all that much confidence. Congrats on getting to 50,000 words in 30 days!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, everyone. Your comments mean a lot to me :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a comment- I love them! Just make sure you remember common courtesy, don't swear or use text messaging language, and don't advertise your blog or other's. It is fine to leave a link to your blog in a signature.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home