Saturday, September 11, 2010

We Remember

Nine.

Eleven.

Two simple numbers that, up until nine years ago, were just that- just numbers. But now, these numbers are heartbreakingly more. Much more. Too much more.

Because nine years ago, on September 9, 2001, Al Qaeda terrorist hijackers crashed jets into the World Trade Center. Into the Pentagon. And, almost, into the Capitol Building.

Today we remember those who lost their lives, in the towers, in the planes, and in the aftermath. But we also remember the heroes who saved lives- God knows how many- that would have been lost in the Capitol building. We remember the heroes on flight United 93, who crashed the plane into a field in Pennsylvania, killing everyone on board but saving innocent lives on the ground. We remember, because the worst that could happen is forgetting. Not learning from the lost lives. Leaving behind this modern history. We must remember, because forgetting is not an option.

If we, as Americans, forget 9/11, we forget ourselves and our nation and the dead have died in vain. If we remember, we can save lives and stop- and prevent- such a thing from ever occuring again. If even one life, two lives, twenty lives, are saved, if even one terrorist is prevented from detonating his bombs, hijacking a plane, those who lost their lives have not died in vain.

Today, I remember, although I was only four and whatever I may remember from the day is lost in the depths of my mind. Everyone has their own story, their own memory, from 9/11. What is yours?

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'm originally from Pennsylvania and I was about 12 when 9.11 happened. I remember the complete havoc this event wreaked even on the small school that i attended that year. Parents came to pick up children. Classes were temporarily paused so that students could be comforted. We weren't permitted to see any of the news, but the teachers told us.
    My most vivid moment is when we were all out on the playground, we were all in different stages of worrying. Finally,we all joined hands in a large circle and we prayed. It was a bit abnormal even if it was a Christian school. Yet, it was good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a comment- I love them! Just make sure you remember common courtesy, don't swear or use text messaging language, and don't advertise your blog or other's. It is fine to leave a link to your blog in a signature.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home