Sunday, September 5, 2010

Being a Disciple of Jesus

First, I understand that some of my followers and readers may not believe in God, but I need to write about this.

Today at church, during the sermon, the pastor said that to become a disciple of Jesus, one needs three things. Now I have a poor memory and at the moment remember only one- to be able to leave everything behind, because God needs to be number one in your life. In the Gospel (Luke 14:26), Jesus said that "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters -- yes, even his own life --he cannot be my disciple."

The pastor reminded us that this 'hate' is not in the sense we understand today- not contempt, anger, or animosity. Rather, it is a ranking of affection. So,when Jesus said that to be a disciple one must HATE- He meant that one must LOVE God more than any of these people. In other words, to make God number one in your life. The pastor didn't explain it the way I wrote it, though. He simply said that to hate your family means that you must put God first in your life, in front on your family, and continued to give an example of Catholics marrying outside of their faith, or with a Catholic outside of church (so this Catholic would be putting someone else before God). That didn't sit right with me, exactly. I know God should be first, and I am trying to accomplish this, but why was there no requirement to love God in order to be Jesus' disciple and a disciple of God? I googled the part of the Gospel about hate in hopes of finding the whole passage, and I found this page, better (at least to me) explaining the requirement to become a disciple.

Now I understood much better. In order to become a disciple of Christ (as every Christian should be want to be), one must do whatever it takes to stay loyal to God and to Jesus. You must put Him first in your life, before money and pets and even loved ones. In the words of the page in the link above, "it means your allegiance and obedience to Him is not just a part of your life - IT IS YOUR LIFE."

I can't say I'm a good Catholic- sometimes I don't always agree with what is written in the Bible- but I am trying to do what God wants me to do. God knows I will make mistakes in my journey- I have many flaws, as each human does. I am trying to put God first in my life, though, and to glorify Him through what I do.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, that was a really deep post. He is #1 in my life and he always will be. I think it's great that people post about things like this, as we are not suppsoed to be ashamed of Him, and we should spread the word to everyone-even if they don't believe. Really great post, and I LOVE the name of your blog {Well, soon to be named}

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiki,
    I greatly appreciate your thoughts upon this subject and especially that you chose to dive deeper into something you heard in a sermon. I think it's pretty easy for a lot of us to hear a sermon that may bother us but just forget about it. This summer, I spent about a month and a half in a discipleship program. One thing that has really stuck with me is "Love God, Love people." At first, it didn't quite make sense. Yet, it does. If we love God first, we will naturally love those around us. However, HE is the one that we love first and all other things will follow in whatever order He desires.

    I agree that following Jesus is difficult because He asks for surrender. Personally, I hate the idea of surrender (at least, I used to). Yet, without surrender, we go no where. We stay the same person and allow God no room to work in our lives.

    Goodness! I ramble. Anyways, I greatly enjoy that you took the step to share the deep thoughts of yours about God. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a beliver in God (you already know that) and I get how you should put God first... good post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you tell me you e-mail so I can give you the award? Thanks. Of course, I will delete you on my e-mail after.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments! Trinity- I already saved the picture for the award that was on your blog and I'll post about it soon. Is that the award you mean?

    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this and I replaced things with family instead. When I was a Christian I loved God more than my family... for about a week. That's when I couldn't stand it anymore. I loved my family too much to put them behind something that I don't even know exists! I cried myself asleep hoping that God will understand, instead I kept thinking about me going to Hell, and then I dreamed about it.

    The only reason I'm posting here is simple. I used to believe in God-my whole family did-but it just turned out better not to believe at all. Really though, all I'm trying to say is don't loose yourself. Don't forget everything. Don't forget about your family because of God. They're more important than anything else if you want them to be, and anyone understanding will understand, and if you think God is understanding, then maybe think about putting your family first instead of him.

    You don't have to take my advice if you don't want to-you don't even have to keep this comment on here. I'm just speaking from experience.
    If you're too strict it can ruin things. I lost several friends because they put God before friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My advice to you is be careful how much you put God first. It's not as easy-or as right-as it seems. Yes, I know what you're thinking "why take advice for someone who doesn't even believe?", well, I used to. I put God first and everything went wrong.

    Just be careful. If God is real, hopefully he'll understand if you want to put your own life before his.

    ~*Brooke*~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brooke- I really appreaciated reading your comments! But loving God the most doesn't mean I love my family or friends any less. They are very important in my life, but without my God I wouldn't exist, so I must be very thankful to Him for that. I really liked reading your perspective, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Kiki. I hoped you wouldn't take it the wrong way-I really do respect your religion! I just know a few people who really took a fall by doing that.

    Good luck with everything Kiki! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. Please leave me a comment- I love them! Just make sure you remember common courtesy, don't swear or use text messaging language, and don't advertise your blog or other's. It is fine to leave a link to your blog in a signature.

Newer Posts Older Posts Home